Salkantay Trek 4D/3N
The Cordillera Vilcanota is an impressive range of mountains that includes the massive SALKANTAY snow capped mountain (6,271m) and three others over 6000m. SALKANTAY is an outstanding snow peak that is located less than fifty miles northwest of the city of Cuzco in South Central Peru. It is the highest mountain of the Cordillera Vilcabamba range. Because of its proximity to the city, it is easily accessible and is climbed frequently. This is an attractive option made for trekkers and has changeable landscapes. Since other tourist circuits have gotten so famous in the last few years, the Salkantay trek is different than the others because it's more natural, cleaner, and less populated. You may also see distinct ecosystems spread across its different zones of altitude and climate. This trail runs from high valley up to the mountains and descends into a lush jungle valley.
Best time to trek: (April to November) sometimes available during the rainy season (December and March) depending on weather conditions.
Group Size: (Min. 4 participants, max 16 participants).
Duration: 4 Days - 3 Night.
Departures: Daily departures
- Book now
DAY 01: CUSCO - SORAYPAMPA
You will be picked up from the your accommodation between 4:30-5:00am and driven to Mollepata (approx. 2H30m) where there will be a stop for breakfast (not included) and then (approx. 1H drive) to the trailhead where we begin a full day of hiking (with varying terrain). During the morning, we get beautiful views of the valley and by lunch we will reach Cruzpata (3100 m). With a little luck, we will already be able to see the snowy peak of Mount Salkantay. After lunch we continue for another 3-4 hours while the scenery changes into rougher hills with rushing streams cascading between them. By the time we reach the campsite we are at an altitude of a little under 4000 meters above sea level and have already hiked 13km. This day also includes the challenging and optional hike to visit the Humantay Lagoon. Needless to say, mostly everyone will be sound asleep in the tents shortly after a good meal prepared by the cook and served by your guide.
Altitude: 3360m.a.s.l. To 4050m.a.s.l.
Walking time: between 6 and 7 hours
Walking distance approximately 13 Km
(Lunch and Dinner included).
DAY 02: SORAYPAMPA - CHAULLAY.
The day will begin with a wake up call and room service delivered by your guide including a coca tea served at the door of your tent to start this long day of trekking. After breakfast, if the skies are clear you will see the Massive Mount Salkantay and begin our trek for the day. Step by step we will climb higher until reaching Soyroccocha where we take a short rest and try to catch our breath. We will continue towards Salkantay Mountain and later in the morning of this day you will reach the highest point of the trek at an impressive 4608 meters. Here, the guide will explain a little bit about the history of Salkantay Mountain and the Andean people. This little history break is an excellent excuse for you to catch your breath, recover from the climb and eat some well-deserved snacks. After taking a break at the highest point of the trek it's time to leave the altitude as we begin the descent, walking for about 2 hrs until we see the kitchen tent. Here we will crash down and fill ourselves up with a tasty lunch and some tea or coffee. The day is not over yet as we continue hiking down to lower altitudes and into greener and greener scenery until we reach the second campsite, Chaullay. This campsite is very lovely and with surrounding green hill scenery.
Altitude: 4050 m.a.s.l. To 4608 m.a.s.l. To 2860 m.a.s.l.
Walking time: 9 to 10 hours
Walking distance approximately 22 Km
(Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included).
DAY 03: CHAULLAY - PLAYA SAHUAYACCO - HYDROELECTRIC - AGUAS CALIENTES.
Wake up with lovely mountain scenery and a good morning tea. We will start the trek @ approx. 7:00 a.m. We will walk for 4 hours at a mild intensity, where we will be introduced to a high jungle area called "Ceja de Selva". We will see different kinds of plants, fruits, flowers, birds etc. We will have lunch in a place named "La Playa (2400 meters). From here we will take a small car approx. 1 hour 30 minutes to Hydroelectric to begin our trek along the railroad tracks in which will take approx. 3 hours to the town of Aguas Calientes. Here you be guided to your accommodation. Dinner and a briefing will take place in the evening to prepare you for the exciting day in Machu Picchu.
Walking distance approximately 17 Km
(Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included).
DAY 04: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHUPICCHU.
Today we are hiking up to the Archaeological site of Machu Picchu, and we will explore the city and enjoy this ancient place in the tranquil morning hours. Once we arrive, we will begin with a complete guided tour of the Inca citadel. Your guide will then depart and leave you on your own for the rest of the time. After the guides explanation you can climb up Huaynapicchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain (if included), where one will experience spectacular views of all of Machu Picchu, the valleys, and the mountains that surround it, or we you may visit the Temple of the Moon, or the fabulous Inca Bridge.
In the afternoon, you will hike down to the town of Aguas Calientes where you have the option to visit and relax in the hot springs if time permits. From here we take the train back to the city of Cusco, where your arrival time depends on your train time. (Remember your guide is no longer going to be with the group so arrival to your train at the time indicated on the ticket is your responsibility).
- Transfer from your hotel to Mollepata. (Trail head).
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, foam mattress, chairs, and tables.
- English speaking professional guide (2 guides for groups over 12 people).
- Cook and cooking equipment.
- Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food, cooking equipment) days 1 to 3.
- Accommodation for our guides, cook and porters / horsemen.
- Meals (3B, 3L, 3D + wake-up tea).
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Transport from Playa Sahuayaco to Hydroelectric.
- Admission ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Train ticket returning to Ollantaytambo.
- Transport from the train station to Cusco.
- Admission ticket to Waynapicchu ($20).
- Admission ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain ($20).
- Bus to Machu Picchu ($15 each way).
- Down filled sleeping bag ($20).
- Hiking Poles ($10 each).
- Lunch on the last day: after the guided tour at Machupicchu, you can enjoy free time to further visit the ruins and choose to have lunch either in Machu Picchu or in Aguas Calientes.
- Optional train from Hydroelectric to Machupicchu town ($35 USD).
Tips: Please be aware that our agency staff are paid, so please feel free to tip or not according to your wish.
You should bring:
- Original passport.
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek.
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho.
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping.
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired at our agency for US$ 20).
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions).
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold.
- Sun block cream, mosquitoes repellent.
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body.
- Toilet paper.
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Small towel.
- Swimming suit.
- Cash in soles(recommend at least S/.300 soles).
Optional: walking sticks or poles (rubber covers required in order not to damage the trail).
- Positive mind!
Price Group: $ 280 USD.